Bea's Beauty Paradise Home Know Me Beauty Faves My MK Story Contact

10.19.2012

DIY: How I cut my hair at home!

I think I've been cutting my hair on my own for 3 or 4 years now. I learned watching YT videos, so you can go, check and find the one that suits you better. 

But anyhow I wanted to do this post because in my daily life many people ask me where I get my hair done. 

In Geneva, just the hair cut for long hair like mine would be 40-50 euros (or even more!!) so going to the salon it's a privilege that a) I can't afford and b) even if I could afford it, I wouldn't do it anyways. 

Another advantage of cutting your own hair is that you cut exactly the amount of hair you want. Not ugly surprises.

There are many ways to cut long hair, but this is the one that works best for me.
It's fast-takes like 10 min-easy and looks good.

Wanna know more? keep on reading...
Pre-cut treatment: Normally I do an over night deep treatment with a mask or some type of oil. This helps me to have smooth and easy to handle her before cutting. Then I wash and condition as usual. 

The moment of truth- CUTTING TIME!
I made some pictures of the process because I thought it'd be a little be more fun and it'd make more sense but sorry the pictures are kind of bad. Not easy to take pictures with cell phone in one hand and scissors in the other!


First thing you need to do is detangle your hair as much as possible and put it in a pony tail on the center top part of your head. For this I find it is easier if before doing the pony I brush my hair upside down.

Why do we place the pony tail like that? 
This is the easiest way to cut the hair creating layers since at the moment of cutting from your pony tail your upper layers of hair will be shorter than the bottom ones. Like this we would be also creating some U or V shape to our hair. 

The more you place the pony tail towards your forehead the more pronounced this V shape would be and more layers you would have. On the contrary, if you place your pony tail at the back in your crown area, your hair would be shorter at the back and longer at the front. Placing the pony tail right in the center works best for me because I get enough layers without loosing too much hair quantity and volume and I get some shape at the bottom without thinning my longuest layer (more of an U shape than a V). But this is personal preference. 

Once I'm happy with where my pony tail is, I'll brush it with a comb making sure all hairs are nicely packed together at the same level while puling them up (3rd picture top row). I will use my fingers as a guide and I will cut as straight as possible. If it isn't perfect, as long as it is more or less straight, don't worry about it because once you pull your hair down it won't be noticeable and actually it looks a litle bit more natural if you don't cut in a perfect straight line. You can repeat this as many times as you want.

You can also pull your hair in front of your eyes and cut at that level if you feel more comfortable (1st picture bottom row). When you are not use to it, it is easier to cut like this. Again, brush well before cutting and use your fingers as a guide. NOTE: this way you are also making the V shape of your hair slightly more pronounced. 

Let your hair down and...VoilĂ !
I don't know if you can see but I have layers, my front strands frame my face...

*For extra layers, repeat the whole process leaving half of your hair out of the pony tail
*Front strands might need extra cutting. Depends on how you want your bangs.

So this is how I've been doing my hair and it works really good. I might go to the salon once or twice a year when I go home to freshen-up, but if not it's all I need. 

Hope you liked it and it made some sense,
Do you cut your own hair?let me know how!
Are you going to try to cut  your hair now? tell me how it turns out!


Want to contact me?
email at livingingeneva@gmail.com
tweet me at BeaLLumbreras

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I cut my hair sometimes and I put my hair into a high pony tail too lol! It really helps! :D

    ReplyDelete